Blood pressure is the force exerted by blood on the walls of the blood vessels. The normal blood pressure is 120(systolic)/80(diastolic) mmHg. High blood pressure is 140/90mmHg.
Hypertension if not taken into consideration or fluctuate oftens it can lead stroke, kidney failure, aneurysm, hypertensive retinopathies like blindness.
- Nutritional approach to manage Hypertension:
-Reduce salt intake- The WHO recommends reducing the salt intake to below 5g per day.
– Avoid Salty packet foods, namkeens, farsans
– Avoid junk food. Munch on fruits as snacks.. Completely avoid outside snacks. Instead of chips, wafers, fried items opt for nuts, berries, yogurt.
– Stop alcohol and smoking.
– Lower the intake of sodium rich foods, papads, pickles
– Exercise regularly. At least 45 minutes of daily activity will help to keep the blood pressure under control.
-Eat fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy products.